photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, October 8, 2012

Style Showdown: Dining Rooms

image 

I haven’t done a “Style Showdown” post in a while, so I thought it might be fun to jump back in with a room that really tends to be a representation of one’s personal style. Given the formal nature of a dining room, most people think very carefully about the aesthetics of this particular space, often investing in nicer pieces than they would for other rooms in the home. Like with any other space, dining rooms come in just about any style under the sun, so I’d love to hear what style you personally find most appealing.

image

202732420695601154_7wotXkBN_c[1] {This dining room is the most formal and traditional of all the rooms in this post. You have very traditional silhouettes including Louis-style chairs clad in sumptuous coral upholstery paired with gorgeous, hand-painted deGournay wallpaper, and chandeliers and sconces dripping with crystals.}

image 45950858669299897_YKRhx6tu_c[1]

{This dining room is as formal as the one in Look No.1, but it feels completely different. Both have round tables and iconic upholstered chairs, this time in a Klismos style, but this room designed by Pablo Paniagua is crisp, tailored, and decidedly more masculine. The color palette of navy, white, and rich-colored woods adds to the polished effect. I love simple nickel pendant and the studded trim on the walls.}

image

37788084344706712_Rp7Fu59F_c[1] {This dining room is in the former Greenwich Village of Billy and Katie Joel (pre-divorce, natch) and was designed by Nate Berkus. After more than five years of blogging, it still remains one of my favorite homes to date, mostly because Nate was able to do what he does best in this house, and in this room in particular. He imbued the space with a sense of inviting ease and filled it with personal effects. This is the most casual room in the post, in part because of the long, family style table, open shelving, and the inclusion of a fireplace. This seems like the ideal room for casual dinners with loved ones.}

image

56295064063145904_17DbONEk_c[1] {This last dining room belongs to Ashley Stark and was recently featured in ELLE DECOR. Clearly, this dining room belongs to a young, fashionable, risk-taker as evidenced by her bold choices. Everything in the space makes a statement, yet the mix of furniture, lighting, and textiles feels cohesive and it all works together beautifully.}

These rooms are all gorgeous in their own right, so gorgeous that it may feel nearly impossible to pick a favorite, but I’d love to know which one you gravitate to the most. Which one beckons the most visceral reaction from you? If you could replicate one of these rooms in your home, which one would you choose?

 

{Image Sources: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 }

11 comments:

Amber said...

I'd say inviting ease, simply because I want my home to be glamorous and functional. I love for people to come over and love the luxe look but no be afraid to kick their shoes off.
I also like the simplicity of the room but I'd do it darker and have more of a statement chandelier!

Squeak said...

Oh wow, it's way too hard to choose! I love the first three - the fourth room is the only one I'm not wild about.

If I could have two dining rooms, I'd probably pick the first, fairly traditional, one for fancy occasions and the former Joel dining room for everyday use.

Rebecca said...

I'm all about look #2. Everything works in that space and I love the rich color!

CarolAnne - camdesign said...

No 3 Inviting Ease

Unknown said...

Love these images and your narrative Paloma! I like the navy room by Paniagua. Very crisp and elegant.
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to know if anyone can identify the manufacturer of the wallpaper in #4 (clearly I'm obsessed w/ that room)!!!

Sarah Hulbert Style said...

#4 "Eclectic Exuberance" for me! I like to be surrounded by interesting things. I love sparkle and texture, and while #2 is a classically close runner-up, I think it would take me a long time to tire of the many layers of interest the 4th room has to offer. Thanks for posting!!! ~Sarah

sbab said...

I love the clean lines of Look #2. Doesn't feel as fussy as Look #1, but has the glamour and richness. Adore the chairs and the pendant!

Wendy said...

So hard to decide but the urchin chandelier on look #4 does it for me. Loooove it!
Wendy-

Elizabeth said...

I like the first one best. You can never have too much glamour, especially in a dining room.

Miya @ Design Indulgences said...

If I had to pick without changing a thing I would pick the tailored elegance. If I could pick and change it to my style, I would select the inviting ease. I love the chandeliers, coziness of the fireplace and bookshelves but it's too bright for me so I would flood it with all sorts of satured colors.